In 1997 despite being a fresh comic and had only did 2 gigs Peter Kay had just won North West comedian of the year. 7 Years later that man has became one of Britain’s most celebrated performers and comedian. Before Peter Kay became a well know comedian he worked in a cinema. Peter Kay was born and bred in Bolton in 1974 he still lives there to this day.
1997: Had been performing stand-up comedy for less than 1 year when he won the Channel 4 “So You Think You’re Funny?” competition.
1998: Nominated for the prestigious Perrier Award at the Edinburgh Fringe Festival and for Top Stand Up and Top TV Comedy Newcomer at the British Comedy Awards.
– Presented the Big Breakfast (Channel 4) and the Sunday Show (BBC2).
– Performed at the Royal Variety Performance.
– His first big break as writer / performer was a one off entitled “The Services”, a mock-documentary style comedy, set in a service station, commissioned and broadcast as part of Channel 4s Comedy Lab – a series which nurtures new comedy talent.
1999: Sellout tour of the North West of England, which included 3,000 seat venues. Peters first live stand-up video Peter Kay Live at the Top of the Tower, which was filmed at Blackpool tower, has recently been released on video.
co-wrote, co-produced and starred in several roles in “That Peter Kay Thing” (set in and around Bolton) a collection of 6 individual comedies shot documentary style. Transmitted on Channel 4. TPKT won Best New Comedy Series at the prestigious British Comedy Awards 2000.
co-wrote, co-produced and starred as three characters in Phoenix Nights (Channel 4). This 6-part comedy drama set in a northern social club. Has just finished filming his second series of Phoenix Nights, which was transmitted earlier this year. This series was his directorial debut. He also married his wife Susan Kay
first national “Mum Wants a Bungalow Tour”, culminating in two weeks at the Lowry in Salford.
Peter finished his “Mum Wants a Bungalow Tour” and takes a three year break from stand up comedy. Peter’s wife Susan Kay becomes pregnant. Peter records 2 episodes in one of Britain’ favorite TV soap Coronation Street.
Peter’s first born child is born. Peter also appears in Coronation Street
– Coronation Street (Granada): played a carpenter
– Born to Run (BBC) alongside Keith Allen and Billie Whitelaw
– Butterfly Collectors (Granada Film) with Pete Postlethwaite.
– 24 Hour Party People directed by Michael Winterbottom.
– John Smith’s bitter commercials
– Going Off Big time directed by Jim Doyle
– Blow Dry directed by Paddy Breathnach
– Jonathan Ross
– Max & Paddys Road To Know Where
– John Smith Advert
– John Smiths advert
– Comic Relief Is this the way to Amarillo video made
– Comic Relief video shown on comic relief night
– Parkinson (ITV)
– Released Amarillo
– Amarillo number one in the official top 40
Voice over for the Brit Awards
Appeared on Sports Relief